Saturday, April 18, 2009

Weekly Review #11

Despite even more outside pressures and stresses that emerged during Spring Break, I felt like this week went pretty well. To make for a smooth transition back to Mr. Suzelis, I had him take each class at least twice this week and he did the warm-ups in the 7th and 8th grade choirs twice as well since we have different vocal warm-ups. Next week we'll follow a similar schedule in the general music classes, but I will do warm-ups for all the choirs every day and on Friday, my last day of teaching, I will have all the classes.

The lessons mostly went according to plan in general music other than the one I mentioned in my previous post today. Friday was an interesting day as I was informed about 10 minutes before class that the school was having all students who didn't get a D or an F on their report cards last 9 weeks go outside for a reward. Music class is during the "intervention" class (study hall), so the principal said it was mine (and really, Mr. Suzelis's) decision, but he did hope we let those that were able to go outside do so. What it ended up doing was cutting each music class in half, so most of what we did in class on Friday will simply have to be repeated on Monday and will be review for the students who didn't get to go outside. I guess I got another taste of the unexpected surprises a school day can bring. It wasn't the first and for the most part it worked pretty well, though I didn't want the students who didn't go outside to feel like they were being "punished" by having class.

The choirs are all preparing for the spaghetti dinner concert next Friday, so I have mostly taken the role of helper in each choir. I still get things started in all but 6th grade choir and Mr. Suzelis and I sort of co-teach 5th grade choir since they are doing two-part songs. He, however, mostly takes the lead there since we really aren't learning any new songs but just reviewing and polishing the ones they have. If we have time each day I will lead sight-singing in 5th grade. This coming week will be interesting in choir as the OAT will be going on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at the middle school and Tuesday and Thursday at the intermediate school. The choir practices will be impacted, but it doesn't look like it will be too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment