Sunday, March 15, 2009

Week 7 Lesson Review

This was a somewhat crazy and hectic (though fast-moving) week due to character assemblies on Wednesday and an in-school concert on Thursday. Because of this, I neglected to videotape my classes. I had originally planned to video my 7th grade general music class because this week I began teaching it full time. It's an interesting challenge because not only are the students well accustomed to Mr. Suzelis's teaching style, but the class ends next week, so no sooner will I get their names learned then I'll be getting a new class! That said, I will reflect on this Friday's lesson, which I had planned to video, but once I get going teaching, I simply did not remember to turn on the recorder. Guess I'm focused a little too much!

For the most part I was happy with how the lesson went, though there are times I feel a little unprepared when something goes much faster than I had even thought possible. First I had to take care of getting some students caught up on a playing test. Not only did they have to play, but all three of them needed to first learn what was going to be tested on. I do enjoy getting to work with students a little more one-on-one, though the challenge for me was keeping an eye on the rest of the class as well. I thought I was doing an OK job, but apparently not as it seemed the very second I looked down at my paper to mark how a student did on her playing test that Mr. Suzelis walked in and saw a student throw a paper airplane and promptly addressed it. He didn't seem upset at me, though I'm sure he thought I should've noticed. I'm betting the students were simply waiting for me to look away and did a pretty good job of doing it without letting me see. Unfortunately for them, there was an extra pair of eyes! That is something I'm still working on; that is having a more panoriamic view of the room and not looking down or away as much. I know it takes time and experience, but I'm definitely making an effort to be watching more. The lesson itself after the playing test went OK, though I am still working on engagement. The students all participated, particularly on the section where we used rhythm sticks to practice the difference between steady beat and rhythm. Not knowing exactly how much they know hurt a little too. I'm interested to see how things go when I actually start a class off myself rather than taking over.

No comments:

Post a Comment