Saturday, March 28, 2009

Weekly Review #9

Every week it seems like it really isn't possible we are this far along, but here is is: Week 9 is history. This was the first week of a new grading period, so I got three new general music classes. I felt like we have gotten off to a good start for the most part. Are there things I could still improve on? Absolutely, but since this was my first time ever starting a new class (as opposed to coming into an existing class) I thought it went well enough. Those three classes did not meet on Friday due to the school's Character Education assemblies, which happen about every 2-3 weeks. Because music class is held during each grade's respective intervention (study hall) period, the assemblies always affect class schedule. My new 6th grade class is almost too good to be real. They are respectful, quiet, and seem to participate fairly well. My challenge there seems to be making sure I talk less and engage more and that I call on all of the students more. I have been making an effort to try and call on everyone at least once, but I admit some times are easier than others. When I ask students to read, that is one I hesitate the most to simply call on someone who doesn't volunteer since I know there are many people who are just uncomfortable reading out loud for others. The rest of the questions I ask, however, are open to anyone and I just need to do better in making sure I don't let some students monopolize giving answers. And not just in 6th grade music, but in all of my classes!

The choirs are going OK. My piano playing continues to be a frustration for me and it seems for Mr. Suzelis as well. I have been trying to practice more at home so I can at least play all the parts, but even then my practicing doesn't always translate into smooth playing in the classroom, in particular in the 7th and 8th grade choirs where the music is more difficult with three parts. This week marked the end of the period where I have the teacher's entire schedule, so I will be turning the 7th and 8th grade back over to Mr. Suzelis, though I will continue to do warm-ups and sight-singing. The 7th and 8th graders have solo & ensemble contest at the end of this coming week, so much of the class time is spent giving students who are performing a chance to perform in front of an audience. Mr. Suzelis has required all solists and ensembles to perform at least once both this past week and next week. 5th and 6th grade choirs are going OK, though 6th grade choir continues to be a challenge for me. I guess you will see that yourself on Monday! It's not that they're bad (though we have a few behavior issues that continue to come up regardless of whether I or Mr. Suzelis is in front of the group), but more getting better sound out of them. So often I feel like I'm giving so much just to get an average sound out of them. It was nice a few days ago when I did get a great sound out of them after quite an effort on my part, though it's hardly consistent. I'm trying to do better at being consistent in my expectations and giving better modeling examples.

No comments:

Post a Comment